It’s been raining for the past few days. So I took the opportunity to teach my kids how to say right now (而家 = ji4 gaa1), will it? (會唔會 = wui2 m4 wui2), rain (落雨 = lok6 jyu5) and raining (落緊雨 = lok6 gan2 jyu5).
The addition of 緊 = gan2 is like adding the ‘ing’ to the verb. So if eat = 食 = sik6, then eating = 食緊 = sik6 gan2. If drink = 飲 = jam2, then drinking = 飲緊 = jam2 gan2.
- Will it rain today? = 今日會唔會落雨 = gam1 jat6 wui2 m4 wui2 lok6 jyu5
- Today will rain = 今日會落雨 = gam1 jat6 wui2 lok6 jyu5
- It’s raining right now = 而家落緊雨 = ji4 gaa1 lok6 gan2 jyu5
Make it fun:
Throughout the day, ask your kids what they are eating, drinking, doing, reading, etc… right now to allow them to practise using the words 緊 = gan2 and right now = 而家 = ji4 gaa1.
- What are you eating right now? = 你而家食緊乜嘢 = nei5 ji4 gaa1 sik6 gan2 mat1 je5
- What are you drinking right now? = 你而家飲緊乜嘢 = nei5 ji4 gaa1 jam2 gan2 mat1 je5
- What are you doing right now? = 你而家做緊乜嘢 = nei5 ji4 gaa1 zou6 gan2 mat1 je5
- What are you reading/watching right now? = 你而家睇緊乜嘢 = nei5 ji4 gaa1 tai2 gan2 mat1 je5
- I am eating pizza right now = 我而家食緊 pizza = ngo5 ji4 gaa1 sik6 gan2 pizza
- I am drinking water right now = 我而家飲緊水 = ngo5 ji4 gaa1 jam2 gan2 seoi2
- I am brushing my teeth right now = 我而家刷緊牙 = ngo5 ji4 gaa1 caat3 gan2 ngaa4
- I am reading a book right now = 我而家睇緊書 = ngo5 ji4 gaa1 tai2 gan2 syu1